Thursday, September 23, 2010

Doctor's Appointments ...

First of all, I go to Capital Area OBGYN - i LOVE them. Before I found out I was pregnant, I just went to a regular primary doctor and had NO idea who to go to when I got pregnant. My friend Crystal has had two precious babies and highly recommended this practice -- I'm soo glad she did - they are GREAT. The very first appointment we went to was in their old office (in Cary). This appointment was just to meet with the pre-natal nurse to discuss things like health history, nutrition, overview of my appts going forward, to draw blood, urine sample, etc. etc. When we first got there, the nurse had me go to the bathroom to do a urine sample ... when I came out, I made eye contact with two girls I went to high school with and cheered with - Shanacee Holden & Wanette Williams!! They work there!! It was aweeeeesome and reassuring to see them and know that this really IS a good practice - b/c these girls are awesome. That first visit was July 29th. We scheduled our next visit for August 10th to do the first ultrasound.

The week before August 10th, we had something come up with church where we weren't going to be able to make our appointment that Tuesday ... so we thought ... we've waited this long, we can surely wait another two days. Soo we rescheduled the appt. for Thursday, August 12th. It was the most awesome feeling getting to see/hear our precious baby's heartbeat for the first time. What a miracle!! ........... The ultrasound technician told us that everything measured exactly where it was supposed to be measuring and the baby's heartbeat was 165 beats/minute.

The next doctor's office visit was on August 24th. This was the first time we were actually meeting with the doctor. The one I met with that day - Dr. Christin Richardson - was AWESOME. She sat us down in her office and talked about my blood type, asked us all kinds of questions about how everything was going, and then she did a papsmear/pelvic exam and we were able to hear the baby's heartbeat as well. She said "if I had to guess, the baby's heartbeart is about 160 beats/minute" -- so about the same as it was last time.

The next doctor's office visit was on September 2nd. This was our first trimester ultrasound and down's syndrome testing. We met with the nurse practitioner, Kristin Shields, first to discuss down's syndrome, etc. She did the ultrasound and we got to see the baby's heartbeat again -- and, of course, printed out several pictures. During the ultrasound she was measuring the neck and said "everything is measuring well within normal range". (I wouldn't have known this ... except Crystal had told me ... that sometimes they can tell if it's gonna be abnormal or more of a risk by the measurement of the neck -- I would never have known that otherwise). They then took my blood and ... we were on our way back to work. About a week and a half later, I got a notification through e-mail telling me I had a new message on my online account with them -- the message said everything with my first ultrasound screening was within normal range.

The next visit was .......... today. This was supposed to be a routine visit just to take my measurements, weigh me, blood pressure, etc. Of course, with me, nothing is ever routine/normal. Last night I did not sleep very well at all. I woke up at 4:45 and could NOT go back to sleep .. why?? I have no idea. Jonathan had to get up and go to work (but since the dr's office is within his fire district, he was just planning on meeting me there). I finally fell into a deep sleep about 6:00, right before his alarm went off. So he got up and went to work. He reset the alarm for me to wake up at 6:50. I guess I was in such a deep sleep that at 7:06, I jumped up, realizing I HAD to get up right then or I would be late, and turned the shower on. I got in the shower and when I started wetting my hair, I realize 'I'm about to pass out right now ...' I immediately turned the shower off and got out and put my head down between my legs (this has happened to me and my mom on mannnny occasions, so this is nothing TOO unusual). But ... I was still running late so I decided to turn the bath tub on b/c half my hair was wet and I at least needed to wet the rest of it so I could get ready and leave. I remember turning the bath water on and then opening the closet door to get a towel out and then ......................... the next thing I know, I am waking up from being facedown on the floor. The LORD is sooo good to me ... b/c somehow I woke up all of a sudden ... (Jonathan thinks my blood pressue finally leveled out - and we've also tossed around the idea that our dog Romeo started licking me or something) - but I sincerely know that God was just taking care of me. It couldn't have been too long b/c the bath water had only filled the tub about 2-3 inches. I also immediately looked at the clock and it was 7:13 so that's another reason I couldn't have passed out for too long. I got up and went straight to the bed to lay down, thinking I HAVE to cancel this appt - there is NO way I am going to be able to make it - I don't feel good - I can't get myself up out of this bed - I'm wet - I've only had half of a shower ... So I debated for 2 seconds whether to call 911 or Jonathan but, as I was laying there for the first few seconds, I started to feel ok ... like I wasn't going to pass out again. Plus, I was butt naked, didn't have any bumps or bruises (that I could tell) and I was alive soo I decided to call Jonathan. I was balling my eyes out, NOT scared for myself, but scared for this little life inside of me. I didn't know if I had fallen .. I didn't know if I had hurt the baby .. I NEVER lay on my stomach anymore and that's how I woke up on the ground - facedown on my stomach soo I was soo worried. We immediately just started praying. Jonathan kept insisting on him coming to get me and driving me but ... I literally felt OK after all that. I really really think I just jumped up too fast out of bed and had not let myself get stabilized before I tried taking a bath/shower. Jonathan says my blood pressure just dropped and then when I was on the floor it started to level out. We obviously kept our doctor's appointment - we wanted to make sure everything was ok. My heart was relieved when we got to hear our baby's heartbeat again ... just as strong as before! The doctor kept thinking it was my blood sugar or that the water in the shower was too hot ... but ... I've had numerous occasions where I've had issues with my blood sugar and ... that one wasn't it. I have also taken the same shower with the same warm water every day ... so I don't think that was it either. But I sure did learn my lesson ... I won't be jumping up out of bed like that again!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE GOD, for being the HEALER, COMFORTER, PROTECTOR, & for taking care of me & our baby. It could have been a whole lot worse.

We scheduled our next visit for two weeks from today - Thursday, October 7th. This is when we will find out if it is a BOY OR GIRL!!!!!!! STAY TUNED!! :)

1 comment:

The Crocker's said...

hey Emily!! Congrats on your pregnancy! It is life changing!! I go to Capital Area too and LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Dr. Richardson & Dr. Barrett are my faves but they are all good.

Thanks for FINALLY updating your blog ;).

Best Wishes and Prayers for you and your baby!